Subject: Re: scsi booting M76
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <msokolov@blackwidow.soml.cwru.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/17/1998 23:48:57
Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com> wrote:
> 	I had folloewd Max Entropy's procedure for setting up the rz24's
> to boot this M76, but I got the usual result: the c8's of death/timeout in
> sc_receive. Among the near dozen dialects of kernels for the babyVAXen,
> which one 'seemed to work?'

As far as I remember, this is a problem with the booter, not the kernel. You
need to type "rom()netbsd" at the booter's prompt. Oh, and bit 0 in your
bootflags must be set, or you won't get that prompt at all.

This has to do with the booter not having the code to talk to the SCSI chips
directly and having to use the VMB (ROM) routines. It seems to me that this is
actually right, as it seems to me that this is what Ultrix does.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 216-368-6888 (Office) 440-449-0299 (Home) 216-217-2579 (Cellular)
ARPA Internet SMTP mail: msokolov@blackwidow.cwru.edu