Subject: Re: Getting the VS3100M76 to boot from disk...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <msokolov@blackwidow.soml.cwru.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/17/1998 23:35:27
Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com> wrote:
> 	According to what Mr. Sokolov has said,
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^

Agent Sokolov. Or simply Michael.

> there is a way to bet the
> VS3100/M76 to boot from the hard disks.

Well, I've done it. :-)

> What must I correct to get this working?

Make sure that one of the disks (the SCSI ID doesn't matter, this is not a
PeeCee) has the bootblocks, the booter, and the kernel. For me the bootblocks
were a tricky part, since disklabel(8) kept blowing up with a kernel panic. My
solution was to put the bootblocks on a tape (using 512-byte records), boot
Ultrix (the RZ23 was still connected to a KA42), and use dd(1) under Ultrix to
take the bootblocks from the tape and smack them where they belong. Since you
seem to have NetBSD running already (via netbooting), you probably won't have
to go through these contortions. Also if disklabel(8) works for you, you are
even luckier. :-)

> Which copy of BOOT would I need
> to use?

I've used the stock v1.3 one (in the native UNIX format, of course, not MOP
format).

> Which kernel must I use? ( iave have at least seven versions from
> 1.2G to the latest from Multivac)

Before I've built my own I was using the stock v1.3 one.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 216-368-6888 (Office) 440-449-0299 (Home) 216-217-2579 (Cellular)
ARPA Internet SMTP mail: msokolov@blackwidow.cwru.edu