Subject: Re: Y2K
To: None <Edgar_Domingo@Notes.airtouch.com>
From: Mats O Jansson <maja@cntw.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/17/1998 03:55:16
On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 Edgar_Domingo@Notes.airtouch.com wrote:

>      Is the MicroVax 3100-40 year 2000 compliant

Since i'm stupid and started looking, the answer can be found in
http://www.digital.com/year2000/main/position.html

VAX Systems:

All VAX systems are Year 2000 Ready except those that have a dedicated
PRO380 or PDP-11 front-end console system.

The PRO380 console system is found on the VAX 8500 and 8700 series, and
the VAX 8800, 8810 and 8820-N models. A single chip PDP-11 processor is
used as the console front-end on the VAX 8600 series.

The PRO380 operating system uses only 2-digit years, and will show the
Year 2000 as "00". There are no plans to modify the PRO380 code to be Year
2000 Ready.

The operating system on the PDP-11 that serves as the console for the VAX
8600 is based on a version of RT-11 that is not Year 2000 Ready. There are
no plans to modify this operating system to be Year 2000 Ready.

Note: this only affects the console front-end processor, and the dates of
files stored on its disk. For example, after the turn of the century,
searching for files on the PRO380 or PDP-11 console systems using "before"
and "since" syntax may yield unexpected results. The attached VAX system
is Year 2000 Ready provided that the system-level date and time is set and
reset using OpenVMS commands.

-moj