Subject: RDs for Nothing
To: <>
From: None <Jay_Maynard@crow.bmc.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/09/1998 14:00:38
     The message last night on a NetBSD mailing list about a VAX for free
     got the wheels turning...I came up with most of this on the drive to
     the office. Enjoy.

     RDs for Nothing (to the tune of Money for Nothing)
     Jay Maynard, with apologies to Dire Straits

     I want my...I want my...I want my BSD...

     Now look at that hacker, that's the way you do it
     You get your Micro running BSD
     No, that ain't Windows, that's the way you do it
     Get your RDs for nothing, and your VAX for free
     No, that ain't Windows, that's the way you do it
     Lemme tell you, them guys ain't dumb
     Don't give no money to that old Bill Gates now
     Don't let him get you under his thumb

     We got to install NT servers
     PC networks are so much fun
     We got to install '95 clients
     Try to get those beasts to run

     See that 780 in the cabinet with the 9-track
     Yeah buddy, that's it over there
     That 780's got five gigs of disk space
     That 780 needs conditioned air

     We got to install NT servers
     PC networks are so much fun
     We got to install '95 clients
     Try to get those beasts to run

     I shoulda learned to use the C shell
     I shoulda learned to use vi
     Look at that monitor, it's running seven different programs
     Man, just watch the Web fly
     And over there, what's that? Big C compiler?
     Bangin' on the swap drive like a chimpanzee
     That ain't Windows, that's the way you do it
     Get your RDs for nothing, get your VAX for free

     We got to install NT servers
     PC networks are so much fun
     We got to install '95 clients
     Try to get those beasts to run

     Now that ain't Windows, that's the way you do it
     You get your Micro running BSD
     That ain't Windows, that's the way you do it
     RDs for nothing, and your VAX for free
     RDs for nothing, and VAX for free
     (I want my...I want my...I want my BSD...)
     RDs for nothing, and VAX for free
     (I want my...I want my...I want my BSD...)
     (fade out)

     (For non-VAX aficionados, older MicroVAX systems used MFM hard drives
     that DEC bought from several manufacturers; DEC gave them RDxx type
     numbers.)

     (...and "hacker" is used in the proper manner, referring to someone
     who plays with computers because he likes to, not the press-corrupted
     version of "computer criminal".)