Subject: Re: TK50 SCSI controller [was: VS2000 PS quirk?]
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/09/1998 09:36:24
On 3 Jun 1998, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

> This is great for a BA23, but you say you have a BA123 (you lucky dog,
> you!).  That backplane has 5 AB/CD slots, against the 3 in the BA23,

I think it's only 4 AB/CD slots (or so it says on the cardcage.)

> so you should change your board placements to this:
>
> 1:    KA630
> 2:    MS630
> 3: M9047 empty
> 4:    M3104
> 5: TQK50 empty
> 6: DEQNA RQDX3

I actually have a quad-height drive controller, which is a RQDX2.  (oops)
so I changed to this:

1:    KA630
2:    MS630
3: M9047 empty
4:    M3104
5: TQK50 empty
6: DEQNA empty
7:    RQXD2

the DHV11 seemed happy, but not much else did.  The diagnostic lights on
the DEQNA didn't go out, and the monitor came back with a
"?4B CTRLERR, XQA0" when I tried to boot off of the DEQNA.  I figured that
it wasn't getting the bus properly, so I threw in some M9047s into the
empty slots below the TQK50 and DEQNA, and the DEQNA seemed to be happy,
but I still got a SCBINT when trying to netboot...

so I flipped the DEQNA and the TQK50, and put the grant cards back in
below them, and I'm still getting a SCBINT.

Does the fact that I have a RQXD2 have a bearing on anything?

FWIW, the original configuration of the box (written on the label of the
cardcage cover) has:

1:    KA630
2:    MS630
3: M9047
4:    DHV11
5: TQK50 M9047
6:    RQDX2

It seems like I"m doing the "right thing"(tm) but my DEQNA is unhappy.
:(

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
  DECBEE65 0DEE3A0C 1ED7F54D 9E023CC4 and 0x0663D1A9 at a server near you.