Subject: Re: VS3100 color
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Peter Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/08/1998 11:02:44
On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > Why is the mono of no use if you have a color card? AFAIK they can be used
> > simultaneously...
> >
> Eh? If you install the color card you get color output on the
> builtin graphic D-sub. And if you remove the color option board
> then you get no output from the machine at all (no sync). It may
> happen that there is a strap somewhere to select between them, I
> don't know about that.

	I just remember someone saying that it was possible (on an 3100
30/38/40/48) to use the built-in mono graphics at the same time as the
add-on card... could be bogus... Maybe I'll take the case off and have a
look...

> > 	I think there are 2 color cards for the 3100, The GPX and the SPX.
> >
> Due to my docs there are 2 types of of color option boards; the 4-plane
> VS40X-MA and the 8-plane VS40X-PA. Both of them Dragon-based.

	Those are the GPX boards that support the 1024x864 mode and
monitors.
	I have a VAXstation 3100 with a SPX card. This is a newer 8 plane
card that supports the 1024x1280 mode. (and the VRT19 and VR320 monitors)
It was used in the VAXstation 3100 (30/40 series) and the VT1300 Xterminal
(which is exactly a 8M VAXstation 3100 with no SCSI daughter card or drive
plate) It was never supported under Ultrix...

PCW