Subject: Re: "WARNINGS" appearing in development kernels.
To: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/07/1998 23:51:41
On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, David Burrows wrote:

> Lets do it.. I noticed theres a NetBSD 1.32 out but no sign of vax
> anywhere..  Maybe it is a bit premature though.

Well, since we're just now getting UVM support for NetBSD/vax we should
probably set on it a little while to sort out any port dependant quirks
that are still hiding.  Recompiling all of NetBSD's utils can be a
daunting task as well, at least on the first pass.  I did it last summer
(northern hemisphere summer) when the kernel was still not entirely stable
on the M30 and M38.  I think it took me about two weeks to compile
everything.  Of course I was still very new to NetBSD at that time, and I
also didn't have the added speed that comes with support of primary and
secondary cache.

> Is Ragge going to give
> the green light when the VS3100 is "officially" supported or what?  Seems
> to work great here, apart from having to netboot because there's no SCSI
> support.

It's been working for a long while.  There seems to be an unwritten rule
of sorts that the platform isn't officially supported unless it's got disk
drive support. Which is understandable given that it's a non-trivial task
to netboot the systems for most people.  Then again, it does take a
certain special breed of individual to want to run their own VAX.

-brian.
---