Subject: Re: "WARNINGS" appearing in development kernels.
To: Jerome Tonneson <jerome@m-net.arbornet.org>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/07/1998 21:04:50
On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Jerome Tonneson wrote:

> Several WARNINGS appeared when I tried to boot some of the newer (development)
> kernels.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  This happened with both a
> VS3100/M38 and a VS2000.  The startup text for the M38 is below.

That tends to happen with a complete overhaul of the VM system :-)  The
most recent precompiled kernel, 1.3F #456, uses the new NetBSD UVM virtual
memory system instead of the previous Mach virtual memory system. If you
fall back to the 1.3E #445 from June 5th, you shouldn't see any problems.
I also found that kernel to work quite well on netbooted VS2000's.

The fix for the new UVM kernels is to recompile the non-working utilities.
Actually, it might not be a bad idea to start work on recompiling
everything and coming up with a new interim distribution... but that can
take a lot of work, or at least a lot of time :-)

-brian.
---