Subject: 1.3E and VS2000 revisited
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/07/1998 12:26:48
The June 5th 1.3E kernel from multivac.ludd.luth.se seems to be holding up
very well on a 6Meg netbooted VS2000.  I've had a Csound process pounding
on the system for the past 8 hours without a glitch.  This is all while
I'm logged into the VS2000 serial console, telneted out from the VAX to a
Linux box, running screen on the Linux box, from which I've telneted back
to the VS2000 with three other login sessions.  My fourth session is this
one which I'm using to telnet into my ISP.  In one of the VAX's sessions
I've got Csound grinding away, and in the other two I've been invoking the
occassional compile, doing simple shell work, or running nethack.  The
system's been hitting NFS swap fairly hard, but so far everything is
humming right along. (Presently the load average is at about 3.75 and I've
got 5+Megs of memory in NFS swap.)

I still have to try a more complex C compile to see if they still crash on
the small memory VS2000's, and I'd like to see what povray does now.

Also, the enhancements to the lance ethernet driver seem to be working out
quite nicely.  Even with the system pegged, I've not seen any ethernet
timeouts.

-brian.
---