Subject: Re: Serial Console on 3100Z
To: Oscar Oberg <Oscar.Oberg@abc.se>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/06/1998 19:21:10
On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Oscar Oberg wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, S. Ryan Quick wrote:

> > I'm using minicom and a Cyclades multiport serial board on Linux for the
> > console server . . .

> I never got the VS3100 serial console working in minicom. I had to use a
> program that used a different kind of hardware flowcontrol. RTS/CTS
> maybe.. or if that's the one minicom uses.. I wish I had more information,
> but I hope this helps in any kind of way..

I use minicom under Linux without any problems.  I've got it set up at
9600 baud, 8N1, xon/xoff flow control.  No hardware RTS/CTS is necessary.
In my case I am just using a straight serial port, with a setserial
command run on it at boot time for good measure:

/bin/setserial -b /dev/cua0 uart 16550A port 0x3F8 irq 4

Though I find setserial isn't really necessary unless you're jacking up
the serial speed beyond 19200 or unless you're using non-standard I/O
ports and IRQs.  In the case of a Cyclades multiport serial card, I don't
believe the setserial is even relevant since you're dealing with the
Cyclades device driver and not an ordinary serial port.

I have not yet tried this with minicom under another OS.  Also, I've
sucessfully used Telix under MS-DOS on an 8088 PC as a terminal program
for my VAXstations.  If you've ever used Telix you'll know that minicom
has a very faithful copy of Telix' look and feel, which in part is why I
really like minicom.

For a while I even used an Atari 520ST with its VT52 emulator as my
console.  It worked very well, except I didn't like the keyboard very much
and I couldn't send a "break" from it. (This was back when I was first
trying to figure out how to netboot stuff.)

-brian.
---