Subject: Re: VS3100 and cache.
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/05/1998 03:36:51
On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> I have just looked a bit into the cache config on VS3100's. The primary
> cache was rather simple to enable and enabling it made the machine
> about twice as fast :-)

Verified that this is the case on my VS3100/M38 as well.  I'll test it on
the M30 after I get some sleep.  I was consistently getting 7142 dhry/s
with the new kernel, which is approaching twice as meaninglessly as fast
as before.  Amazing what that little 1K of cache can do.

> The secondary cache is a little bit trickier; I will take a look at
> enabling that some other day.

Well, I think a nearly 2X performance increase will keep me quiet on the
cache subject for a while.  I'm just glad this went from discussion to
implementation in less than a week.

-brian.
---