Subject: Re: Cache for VS3100/M30/M38? [Was Re: VS3100/M76 is FAST!]
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/02/1998 03:06:23
On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Allison J Parent wrote:

> <The 41264 is actually a 64kx4 DRAM.  With four of them, that'd make
> <128kx8.  Is this possibly the video RAM?

But with the total of eight, this would make 256KB of video RAM.  Is that
how much came with the VS3100/M38 on its mainboard?

> They are video ram.  Cache chips for vaxen would have to be about 8-12x
> faster and definately not dynamic(tooslow back then).

I don't know...  If on some of the CVAX processors the on-chip 1k cache is
at 90ns, DRAM might not be entirely unreasonable.  DRAM rated at 120ns was
common around '87 and '88, and I'm sure some exotic 100ns chips may have
been around somewhere too. :-)

Does anyone know what the weird cluster of eight Motorola chips next to
the on-board RAM does?  They're labeled F245DW.

-brian.
---