Subject: Re: Status of NetBSD-VAX
To: Jacob Suter <jsuter@moon.intrastar.net>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/1998 23:51:03
On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Jacob Suter wrote:

> > > Does the SCSI still suck?
> >
> > Um, it has it's issues still.
>
> Darn...  Thats the thing I would consider being NetBSD/VAX's biggest
> problem for me :(

Yeah, many people have been wanting good SCSI on the VS3100 for a while
now.  It would cut down quite a bit on the overhead of having to set up a
bootserver.  The most recent changes to the serial driver and the lance
driver are a step in the right direction for sure.  I see it as
capitalizing on the strengths of the VAXstations while smoothing the road
for future improvements.  I think SCSI should probably be the next item to
target for the VS3100, but I've a feeling Ragge is keeping very busy with
things like integrating support for the new NetBSD UVM virtual memory
scheme into the VAX port.

> > > Can I actually get the whole base system on two 100MB HD's and maybe a
> > > little swap too?
> >
> > Yes.  I found the 160Meg RD54 to be just a bit too tight, but 200Meg ought
> > to be okay.  Of course it really isn't an option until we get the SCSI
> > driver fixed up some.
>
> I'm hoping maybe I can find a bit bigger HD for cheap next week...

I really recommend trying Ebay's on-line auctions.  You can often find
genuine DEC SCSI drives going for only tens of dollars.  Nobody really
seems to want SCSI drives if they're less than 1GB anymore.  You can very
easily find cheap drives in the 100-500Meg size.

> > I'm trying to tackle a couple of the fundamental weaknesses in the
> > NetBSD/vax port, and I'm not talking about the code.  Basically, I think

> its just a matter of finding common goals to work on and completing them.
> Unluckily most people here have their "strong points", which makes things
> harder.

I tend to think that most of the strong points exist because they're
centered around what people have access to in the way of hardware and
docs.  If we can change this pocketed organization of resources, I'm
positive we'll get some interesting results.

> I'll do some checking from the company that gave me my vaxes to see if
> they have any of the old documentation around.

That would be great.  Even if we could get just a few copies of tech
manuals for the various systems, we could possibly set up an informal
loaning system in which we direct the appropriate docs to those people
interested in projects which would require them.

> Has Linux/VAX actually gotten anywhere?  Last I looked it was still sort
> of a joke than anything, even according to their homepage.

I think they're sort of in a rut.  A couple of weeks ago my messages to
the VAX/Linux mailing list started bouncing, and I haven't been able to
re-subscribe to it successfully.  If I get my VAX systems on-line, I'd be
more than happy to make room for Linux developers as well.  The Linux port
is in a world of hurt compared to us.

> Hmm, where 'bouts are you?  Being an ISP I know a lot of other ISPs around
> that are generally decent about helping efforts like this..

Southern California, Orange County... but I'm supposed to be moving up to
Los Angeles sometime soon (David Brownlee is now laughing I'm sure). :-)
I have been intending to move there since sometime in mid-January, but I
keep spending my weekends playing on VAXen instead of looking for an
apartment.  So I just commute 130 miles each weekday.

> > Anyway, so that is the plan.  Yes I am insane.
>
> Not insane, all of your ideas sound very accomplishable.

Well of course they are!  I'm insanely clever, or cleverly insane, or
something.

> With a decent
> x86 machine on an internal network there you could add some serious
> cross-compiling power to the whole thing to speed development, with the
> capability to transfer data at ~1mb/sec (ok, more like 50k/sec to the
> average decent VAX) internally and enable the developers to quickly test
> their latest code changes right there online...

Yes, that is the plan :-) -- total world VAX domination.  We don't need no
stinking Intel Merced!

-brian.
---