Subject: Re: US vs European PS requirements.
To: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
From: Jacob Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/1998 21:29:04
> >A> It'll just accept it (This *IS* DEC we're talking about, so probably
> >not...)
>
> I have a VS3100/M30 here that is 240vac.
>
> The psu is type H7821-00 and is labelled as follows:-
>
>  V ~100-120/220-240  Hz 50-60
>  A 2.8/1.5   W 180

Same exact one I have here, model H7821-00 / SN HK94970837

This in a model VS42A-DA (3100/M30).  I really think for them to list
dual voltages on a supply (legally, especially if the device is UL
Listed) it would either show OBVIOUSLY how to switch it, or have a
switch right there on the back like a PeeCee.

> >except for cases when line frequency is an issue (most of the world uses 50
> hz,
> >we (Being US/Canada/Japan (Mexico?) use 60 hz.  In the case of computer
> switching
> >power supplies I have never heard this to be a problem,
>
> Frequency of the mains is not a real issue, as it is rectified to DC and
> filtered before it is fed to the switchmode circuitry.

Very true...  Its only really tough on AC motors (that are regulated by
the line freqency) and occasionally transformer driven devices.

> >I really do think my 3100M30 has a 220/110 switch on it, but its been a
> >few weeks since I looked at one so I'm probably wrong.
>
> Mine doesn't seem to, might rip it out and have a closer look.

None here...  I haven't pulled one out to look yet.  Wish I had a plug
converter to test this (I do have 220V delivered for my clothes dryer,
air compressor, radial arm saw, etc, around the house).

JS