Subject: Re: Netbooting KA650 w/DELQA?
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/1998 21:06:22
Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com> writes:

> [...], I found an DIP switch block present on the PCB.
>
> Is this where you'd set the DELQA to operate in DEQNA mode?  And if
> so, how do the switches need to be set?

Looking at the board from the component side, with the handles up and
the connecter "fingers" down, the DIP switch block is at the top
right.  The switches are numbered 1 to 5 from left to right.  They are
each closed when moved up (toward the handle), open when moved down.
Switches 1, 3 and 4 are used to configure the DELQA, switches 2 and 5
are reserved.

Switch 1 is open for first DELQA in the system, CSR 17774440, closed
for second DELQA, which uses CSR 17774460.

Switch 3 is closed for normal operations in DELQA mode, open to put
the interface into "DEQNA-lock" compatibility mode.

Switch 4 is closed to disable remote MOP boot when operating in the
normal, DELQA mode, open to enable remote boot in this mode.  When
running in DEQNA-lock mode, switch 4 is closed to disable the sanity
timer, open to enable it.

Note that the DEQNA-lock mode is never needed for DEC system software,
which recognizes the DELQA directly.  Note also that MOP boot and the
sanity timer (which can be used by the operating system to schedule a
hard reset (by disabling the DC OK line) after a certain period of
time, unless the board has been told otherwise in the meantime) are
mutually exclusive.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"