Subject: Re: Success!...well, at least one piece.
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/1998 11:43:55
On Sun, 31 May 1998, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Sun, 31 May 1998, Jay Maynard wrote:
>
> > I've sucecssfully gotten the SGEC driver to communicate with my P5-166
> > server for booting. It ARPs, RARPs, bootparams, and complains because the
> > kernel doesn't have anything it knows how to talk to. Unless I'm mistaken,
> > that means that the bootloader is doing its job, and now I need to make the
> > SGEC driver work in the real kernel - at which time I should be able to
> > netboot and run.

Excellent! I'm sure the kernel mods will actually be a bit of a challenge.
As you'll likely have to add in some CPU specific bits, above and beyond
the driver mods.

> 	Generate a diff -c or diff -u patch, and submit using send-pr

Translation:  Jay, many thanks for your efforts on adding support for the
SEGC ethernet device present in the VAX 4000/300 (and other similar
models).  Please generate a patch containing your modifications to the
NetBSD port developers via the NetBSD problem report facilities.  On a
NetBSD system you could issue the shell command `send-pr' to do this, but
since you aren't yet running a NetBSD system you may visit the following
web page: http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/send-pr.html

I'm not sure how well the on-line send-pr form will handle cut and paste
of a patch, so you may just want to send it directly to Ragge, the
NetBSD/vax portmaster -- which I now see that he's already asked you to
do...

-brian.
---