Subject: Re: US vs European PS requirements.
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/1998 12:47:52
On Sat, 30 May 1998, Brian D Chase wrote:

[text having fallen victim to Husqvarna chainsaw]

> I have the PS of a VS3100/M38 "extracted" from the case here in front of
> me and I don't see any explicit way to switch it over to accepting
> different input voltages.  Would the PS need to be replaced, or is the
> thing just smart about how it handles the different input voltages?

Tne newer supplies are auto-ranging. Look for the one primary filter cap
(the largest one on the board). If it is rated for 400 VDC or above, OR it
has two cascaded >=200VDC filter caps, it is also auto-ranging. If it only
has one primary filter cap rated at ~200/250VDC then it is for domestic
(USA/CANADA) consumption.

P.S.A