Subject: Re: US vs European PS requirements.
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Matt Thompson <matt@smt.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/1998 11:42:46
Brian D Chase wrote:

> Let's say you've got US issued DEC VAX systems... Say your common
> VAXstation 3100 or 2000.  In the States we run on 110/120VAC for most low
> power consumption devices.  What would it take to say... make that same
> machine be usable in Northern Europe?  Let's pretend we're talking
> about Sweden.
>
> Most PC power supplies I've seen are switch selectable to operate at
> either 110/120VAC or 220/240VAC.  Is this also the case with the
> VAXstations?
>
> I have the PS of a VS3100/M38 "extracted" from the case here in front of
> me and I don't see any explicit way to switch it over to accepting
> different input voltages.  Would the PS need to be replaced, or is the
> thing just smart about how it handles the different input voltages?

My VS3100/M30 PSU does say 100-120/220-240 volts on the sticker attached
it.  There is however no voltage selector switch, and I'm looking at the
PCB, and there's no connector for 220V .. I have often seen PSU's that
have 2 pins on the board, which are labelled 120V and 220V, and there is
a wire that you simply move from the 120V pin, to the 220V pin, but
there is nothing on this PSU for that, it is most likely auto sensing.

-Matt