Subject: Re: MicroVAX I kernel..
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Erno Palonheimo <fsck@stip.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/1998 04:09:18
On Sat, 30 May 1998, Brian D Chase wrote:

> > unknown EMULEX card that has assy no TUO310401
>
> I'm guessing this might be an Emulex clone of the M3104 8-line async mux?

It has two 50-pin connectors in the behind and very long cables. could it
be a scsi card? there is a 16MHz crystal oscillator and a chip which has
label 'TC0310201-SSD'. does uVAX I support SCSI?

> > M7135 - dunno what it is
>
> "MICROVAX I DATAPATH WF FLT PT" from a list of DEC modules I've got. I'm
> parsing the description to mean "Custom data path chip and the FP unit?".

It was the CPU board. :-)

>   The MicroVAX I comes in two versions; one includes F_floating and
>   G_floating instructions, teh other includes F_floating and D_floating
>   instructions.  Neither version includes H_floating instructions. The
>   MicroVAX I procesor includes some of the optional string instructions
>   (CMPC3, LOCC, SCANC, SKPC, and SPANC) but does not include any of the
>   optional processor registers or PDP-11 compatibility mode. It uses 8K
>   words of 39bit wide microcode running at a 250ns cycle time.

Err.. so it has more stuff than uVAX II? or does uVAX II have all the
floating instructions? do we need to write some floating-point emulation
code for it? and.. the optional registers must be emulated? how about the
PDP-11 compatibility mode, that sounds like if it were of quite little use
;-)

> > It has two 4mb memory cards and two 1mb ones.. this is odd. Shouldn't it
> > support more than 4mb? and in my configuration it has 10? dunno.. But, any
>
> What are the Q-bus module numbers for the memory cards?

I'll cram it open when I get it and myself home.. then we will see.. what
might be the explanation for this?

Btw, what is the CPU clock frequency for this machine? I understood that
it is not many MHz's.. and all technical information is welcome.

   Erno Palonheimo -x- fsck@stip.net -x- GSM +358400615281

8. You stopped purchasing new furniture when you realized that
   your computers work just as well.