Subject: Re: MicroVAX I kernel..
To: Erno Palonheimo <fsck@stip.net>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/1998 17:52:18
On Sun, 31 May 1998, Erno Palonheimo wrote:

> So I got my MicroVAX I today and now I would like to have some
> documentation on the hardware.. is there a huge information repository
> somewhere in the net or do I have to ask Digital for documentation?

At this stage you'll have to ask Digital.  I've been trying to find
someone within Digital who'd be willing to assist in getting NetBSD/vax
and VAX/Linux developers access to hardware documents, but so far I
haven't had any success.  I have hope though, DEC have shown themselves to
be fairly FreeOS friendly so hopefully someone will take notice of our
desire to support the VAX architecture.

You will most likely want to get a copy of teh VAX Architecture Reference
Manual, ISBN 1-55558-057-2, DEC order number EY-F576E-DP.  Or you can also
check http://www.amazon.com/ as they seem to carry the book.

> I've understood that I have to emulate some assembly instructions in
> kernel..  what other stuff is required? The setup I have is as follows:
>
> M3106 4-line async mux
> unknown EMULEX card that has assy no TUO310401

I'm guessing this might be an Emulex clone of the M3104 8-line async mux?

> M7136 memory controller
> M7135 - dunno what it is

"MICROVAX I DATAPATH WF FLT PT" from a list of DEC modules I've got. I'm
parsing the description to mean "Custom data path chip and the FP unit?".

According to the VARM, 2nd Ed, the MicroVAX I actually implements the
optional string instructions which the MicroVAX II doesn't:

  The MicroVAX I computer system is the first subset VAX.  Announced in
  1984, it is packaged in a box about 6 inches by 28 inches by 22 inches.
  It uses a custom data path chip and off the shelf TTL components.  It
  uses the Q-bus, originally introduced with the LSI-11, for I/O.

  The MicroVAX I comes in two versions; one includes F_floating and
  G_floating instructions, teh other includes F_floating and D_floating
  instructions.  Neither version includes H_floating instructions. The
  MicroVAX I procesor includes some of the optional string instructions
  (CMPC3, LOCC, SCANC, SKPC, and SPANC) but does not include any of the
  optional processor registers or PDP-11 compatibility mode. It uses 8K
  words of 39bit wide microcode running at a 250ns cycle time.

> It has two 4mb memory cards and two 1mb ones.. this is odd. Shouldn't it
> support more than 4mb? and in my configuration it has 10? dunno.. But, any

What are the Q-bus module numbers for the memory cards?

-brian.
---