Subject: Re: the chicken, or the egg?
To: None <michaels@sun.aracnet.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/1998 13:09:21
On Sat, 30 May 1998 michaels@sun.aracnet.com wrote:

> I've just traded my Sun 3/50 for a MicroVAX-II (just like the vaxine server).
> It's got the DEQNA network card, and I read that I can't netboot with it.
> Its got a TK50 tape, and it's running VMS 5.3.  Here's my problem...
> I have no other TK50 tapes to write the netbsd installation too, and I don't
> know VMS (although I know it doesn't do TCP/IP, so I can't ftp).  Since I
> can't netboot, and I have no TK50 tapes, and no other VAXens to write tapes
> with, how can I install netbsd?  Is there someplace I can get tapes from?

Err, uh... My HOWTO's a bit out of date now.  You actually can netboot
from a DEQNA.  On my web pages there's a file which contains the more
recent bootloaders:

http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/netboot/bootloaders.tar.gz

Within you will find a file named boot-DEQNA.mopformat.  It's the
bootloader you should use with the MicroVAX II.  The setup procedure is
identical to that of the VAXstations, but the actual boot process itself
procedes a little differently.  For one, you'll have to "boot xqa0"
instead of "boot esa0", and if IIRC I had get the ethernet address for the
DEQNA in my MicroVAX II by reading it from the label on the Q-bus card.

If you have troubles, let me know.

-brian.
---