Subject: Re: KA650 incompatibilities
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/1998 07:50:53
Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> I've just replaced my KA630 with a KA650.  This is much nicer.
> Unfortunately some things don't work.  First, my TK50 is totally
> unusable.  I think that this is due to hardware and not NetBSD
> because I can't boot off it.

I've observed this, too.  I believe it's the controller, not the
drive, and it's a revision level problem, probably just firmware.
The offending controller is happily servicing a PDP-11/83 here.

> I also have a problem with my QDSS.  It passes all the power-up
> diagnostics and works fine until I use it heavily in X.  Then the
> QDSS driver reports bus errors during DMA.

My guess would be a driver problem.  It is, after all, very new.

> (Geez... couldn't DEC standardize Q-bus somewhat so that these
> things don't happen?!)

Hmpf!  :-)  They did, you know.  To an _amazing_ degree.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"