Subject: Re: TK50 SCSI controller [was: VS2000 PS quirk?]
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/26/1998 18:20:27
On 26 May 1998, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

> Incidentally, the bad bit in that one was the actual SCSI board: it
> will work at times, but not for long.  It goes into a weird state
> where it seems to erratically send random signals to the tape drive,
> which ends up clicking its relays and flickering its lights.  Swapping
> the drive unit doesn't help, so it's definitely the SCSI board.  If
> anyone familiar with the board has a hint for me about debugging and
> component level repair, I'd be grateful!

Aside from a couple broken VR262 monitors and a Microvax-II which doesn't
want to netboot, I also have a broken TZ-50, which appears to have the
same problem you describe above.  If the drive is unplugged from the
scsi bridge, it seems to work fine.

And now for my obligatory help-me-with-my-VAX rant:

What could be causing an SCBINT during a netboot with a DEQNA?
According to my MOP server, the kernel is being transferred to my
Microvax-II without problem, but the vax always comes up with a SCBINT
generated by the DEQNA...  this happens even in a totally stripped
system with just CPU, memory, and DEQNA.

Anybody have any ideas?

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
  agrier@reed.edu |  agrier@metro.grumblesmurf.net  | ...!reed!vla!agrier
  DECBEE65 0DEE3A0C 1ED7F54D 9E023CC4 and 0x0663D1A9 at a server near you.