Subject: Re: VS2000 PS quirk? [Was Re: Anyone running on VS2000 w/small memory?]
To: Bryan A. Ignatow <ignatow@sprintparanet.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/26/1998 18:44:35
"Bryan A. Ignatow" <ignatow@sprintparanet.com> writes:

> I do remember mounting a board packed with resistors (big ugly ones)
> into a trio of VS2000's to substitute for the drives (the board had
> three or four columns of resisters and a power jack just like the
> back of a drive; the board was about the size of a half height Q-Bus
> card, even though there is no relation between them...  remember
> them being about that size).

You'll find one of these in each SCSI TK50 drive (the VS2000-sized box
that goes on top of a VS2000 or MV2000).  I've got one of them around
here somewhere, from a defective TK50 that I took apart.

Incidentally, the bad bit in that one was the actual SCSI board: it
will work at times, but not for long.  It goes into a weird state
where it seems to erratically send random signals to the tape drive,
which ends up clicking its relays and flickering its lights.  Swapping
the drive unit doesn't help, so it's definitely the SCSI board.  If
anyone familiar with the board has a hint for me about debugging and
component level repair, I'd be grateful!

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"