Subject: Problem netbooting 3100/76/SPX
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@gummo.bbb.sub.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/26/1998 06:40:11
Chris Hedley writes:
> Hi all,
>
> at long last I've finally decided to give NetBSD a try on my VAXstation
> 3100/76 with SPX.  I've so far succeeded in getting the mopd daemon on my
> Linux-based PC to answer its requests and it runs the initial boot loader,
> but any attempt to get this to download the OS or anything else fails with
> the message "?50 SCB2NTINT, ESA0" and the VAX aborts the boot and tries
> again.  I've checked through the manual and also done an AltaVista search
> of the Web and Usenet but, other than another couple of people asking the
> same thing with no (obvious) answer, I can't find any mention of this.

KA43 mustn't access the memory shared with LANCE via "normal" addresses,
but has to use this address mapped into machines diagnostic memory, ie.
le-mem | 0x28000000. Using the "normal" address yields machine checks
(which would explain SCB2NDINT, IIRC when receiving) and/or non-working
network-code (ie. timeouts when trying to send, "transmit buffer full").

I've had a short look into arch/vax/boot/if_le.c on multivac and this
detail seems to be missing in the standalone le-driver.

Hope this helps,
Ciao,
	bertram

PS: The corresponding line in ka43.h reads
       #define KA43_DIAGMEM    0x28000000      /* start of diagnostic memory */
    ka43.c initializes these addresses in a way which works/worked
    for the kernel's le-driver.