Subject: Re: 1.3 hang
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/1998 18:08:01
Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no> writes:

> Anyone seen anything similar?

Yup.  I reported it a while back.  Ragge said he knew about it, and
was hoping to be able to find a fix.  Haven't heard anything since.
It's OK, as long as you don't try to do too much at one time.  If two
or more "heavy" processes compete for resources (memory? CPU?), the
system will hang.  Ragge thought it was running at least one process,
so that if that process managed to complete and terminate, it would
get back to normal.  I haven't seen that happen, since the hangs I've
had all involved big, interdependent jobs.  (I was testing spin-locks
in the PostgreSQL database system at the time, to verify that they
worked right on the VAX.)

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"