Subject: RE: Anyone running on VS2000 w/small memory?
To: 'Brian D Chase' <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/1998 03:06:34
Brian D Chase wrote:

> I've recently been working with netbooting a pair of VS2000s with only
> 6Megs of RAM and no disk drives.  Does anyone around here run
> NetBSD/vax
> on such a minimal config?

I have two VS2Ks with 6 megs of RAM. Both have disks but both have run
diskless for a long period. The only problem I have with mine is that
both refuse to compile anything (as reported to this list earlier). This
is with 1.3 release. Swapping is no problem though, both over NFS and to
local disks. I can load them up with daemons and users and they still
run fine (albeit slow). Right now both are running Apache, SAMBA and NFS
server(!). But, when I try to compile something they both go:

cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 4
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I'd like to try Ragge's new kernel on them, but since it lacks disk
support I can't right now (no room for a diskless environment on my i386
NFS server right now).

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2