Subject: Re: Anyone running on VS2000 w/small memory?
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/1998 01:53:19
On Sun, 24 May 1998, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > I've been having problems with both the standard 1.3A (16 Jan 1998) kernel
> > and Ragge's new 1.3E (23 May 1998) kernel. I can get the systems booted up
> > to their console login prompt, but almost immediately the machines lock up
> > on me.  In some instances I can only get a few characters typed at the
> > login prompt before it locks.  In other cases I can log in all the way but
> > then relatively quickly things lock up on me.

> Do you have swap on the machine?

I had 16Megs of swap over NFS setup for it.  I've tried configs both with
and without swap.  It doesn't seem to matter.

I've not yet ruled out hardware problems.  Both machines pass their
startup diagnostics without problems, and if I run the tests individually
right after power up (test 1,2,3,...,E,F) they all pass okay.

I do find that after a hang though that if I break to ">>> " and run a
"test b" (memory) or a "test a" (MMU?) that they tend to fail.  I'm not
sure if this is an after effect of NetBSD putting the system in protected
mode? (That's is purely a guess on my part).  Power cycling the system
clears any errors.

I'll see what happens if I only boot to single user mode.

-brian.
---