Subject: Re: VAX 780 and it's Microcode...
To: Daniel A. Seagraves <DSEAGRAV@toad.xkl.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/22/1998 08:53:58
> Just getting curious about how big VAXen work...
> One more thing:  How does one go about getting NetBSD/vax on a 780?
> (Netboot?)

Get the data onto a disk the 11/780 can read, and boot it. :-)
11/780 and other large VAXen don't boot the same way as small VAXen do.
You don't use the boot blocks, or the /boot image. Instead, the front end
loads boot from the front end file system, and fires up. So you'll also
have to get the proper boot program onto the front end.
One easy way of doing this is to have some other system running on the
machine already. Otherwise, you might have to make some magic.
NetBSD don't support net booting from DEUNA/DELUA yet... Besides, you
still have to get the correct boot program onto the front end.

Note that there usually already exists a boot on the front end, but this
is the Ultrix boot, which I\m not sure can grok a NetBSD system. (Anybody
know for sure?)

> How many out there (Besides Ragge) have large VAXen?

Two 8650 here. One working, the other feeling a bit ill. But right now
they are turned off because of lack of space in the computer room... :-(

	Johnny