Subject: VAX hardware technical guide wishlist?
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/17/1998 16:14:50
Okay, I've figured the time is long overdue that we start addressing the
problem of not having adequate documentation to further the porting
efforts of both NetBSD/vax and VAX/Linux to the hardware we would like to
see supported.  Obviously, NetBSD/vax is currently the only free OS
porting effort which supports of number of systems, but I wanted to
include those people on the Linux mailing list in case they've any
machines they'd like to see supported which aren't currently supported by
NetBSD/vax.  The ultimate intent here is to approach DEC to explore the
possibility of getting free OS developers access to the technical guides
for their older and obsolete VAX systems (well, obsolete in the eyes of
mainstream computing).

One of the first things we should probably get in order is what bits of
hardware do we need supported or supported more adequately?

I'll start with some items close to my heart.  Please feel free to cascade
upon this:

VAXstation 3100/M30/M38 SCSI controller
VAXstation 3100/M30/M38 MFM controller
VAXstation 3100/M30/M38 SPX graphics