Subject: Re: Of chickens, eggs, and GCC
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jerome Tonneson <jerome@m-net.arbornet.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/10/1998 18:29:49
> >Has anyone successfully built a cross-development environment?
>
>Be sure you are using a real make; e.g. not gnu make or some ancient
>make from another system.

Jay, I'm trying to do the same thing as you.  I'm fairly new to NetBSD,
but I'd like to be able to rebuild the kernel for the VAX, and maybe try
my hand at a driver or two (anyone working on the normal (non-serial)
console?)  Unfortunately the builds would take quite a while on my VS2000...

So I'm trying to make a cross-development system using my Linux box.  I think
I just got over the first hurdle... finding a non-gnu make.  I used the make
from NetBSD (I'm using v1.3) along with the "Makefile.BOOTSTRAP" file that
came with it, but it still wouldn't build.  Everything but util.c would
compile.  It turns out that I had to wrap the last two functions in that file
with "#ifndef __linux__" ... "#endif"  I _think_ I can safely do this as the
functions they were defining appeared to exactly match those in stdio.h.

So if it's the non-gnu make that's giving you problems this might help.

Jerome