Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3400 booting problems.
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/07/1998 10:56:52
-----Original Message-----
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
To: Erno Palonheimo <fsck@stip.net>
Cc: port-vax@NetBSD.ORG <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
Date: Thursday, 7 May 1998 2:40

>On Wed, 6 May 1998, Erno Palonheimo wrote:
>

>> And, also I am interested in physical size of VAX-11/750 machine. That
is,
>> the measures of the cabinet and the weight.
>>
>(from:
>http://www.netbsd.org/Library/Hardware/Machines/DEC/vax/vax700.html#vax700:
vax_11_750

>106*73*76 cm (H*W*D), 182kg, 1700W
                                                              ^^^^^

How much of this does it actually need? I have found DEC's placards are an
indicator only of how much it is capable of drawing when FULLY loaded up.
For instance, a Vax 6000-310 with 64mb of ram actually draws, when measured
with a digital ac ampmeter in series with the machine, just under 2 amps
from a 240vac single phase power point, under 500w.   However, according to
the makers plate, it needs 3,300w.  It appears to have been very
conservatively engineered, as the 350amps@5v the supplies are capable of
delivering would need a truly awesome card fit to use any significant
portion of it.
 I realise older stuff like the 11/750 was a lot hungrier than stuff like
the 6310 (which uses mostly surface mount stuff on it's cards), but how much
hungrier?

Cheers

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager