Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3400 booting problems.
To: Erno Palonheimo <fsck@stip.net>
From: Stan Pietkiewicz <stanp@storm.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/06/1998 22:00:42
Erno Palonheimo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently acquired a microVAX 3400. Now I am trying to boot it, but I can
> get no boot prompt at all. The machine's current console is a VT320, and
> the cable that I use to connect it is an ugly hack, but it worked on a

Whatever works..... :-})

> MicroPDP though. So, what terminal settings should I use and how should
> the switches be set for operation? The machine has also lost the panel
> that is behind the slide cover, so I have no idea about the function of

Iv'e got a MVax 3600, so yours may be different...
The 3 position switch with:
 a face profile ==> presents a language choice menu at power-up;
 the arrow points at a 2 posistion boot action switch:
   dot in circle  (halt after tests) and dot out of circle (autoboot);
 a circular arrow ==> continous self-tests IIRC.

> the buttons that can be found from behind the slide cover.. and, what
> should be the pin-outs from the 5-pin connector in VAX to another similar
> connector that is on the rear of the VT320?
>
> And, also I am interested in physical size of VAX-11/750 machine. That is,
> the measures of the cabinet and the weight.

Huge and heavy..... ;-})
The 3400 is also faster in terms of VUPS (VAX Units of Performance).
These numbers are relative to an 11/780; the MV3600 runs 2.8, an uVII is
~ 0.9. The MV3400 runs at about 2.4.  For comparison, an 11/750 is
0.6!!! There is a web page off the Port-VAX page that has a summary of
most of the range of VAX and Alpha systems:
     http://www.anglia.ac.uk/~systimk/History/Vaxes.Txt

and a NetBSD/VAX FAQ:  http://vaxine.bitcon.no/

> Regards, EPa

Stan