Subject: Re: VaxStation 3100 M76 SPX
To: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
From: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/03/1998 06:57:01
On Sun, 3 May 1998, Ronny Svedman wrote:

>=20
> .. Is the grandiosly formulated name for the computer i recently bought
> very cheaply. I have been skimming this list for a few weeks, but not
> saved all messages.=20
>=20
> I have a few questions:
>=20
> First of all: does anyone have information or links to information about
> what monitors could be attached to the SPX graphics card ? Is there
> different cables that allow for separate sync signals or do I necessarily
> have to find a monitor which accepts sync-on-green ? What are the
> frequencies (vertical / pixel frequency)?

There are two modes:=20

1024 x 800 54.9 KHz h x 60 Hz v sync on green
1280 x 1024  70 KHz h x 66 Hz v sync on green

>=20
> Second: Is there any specific traps and pitfalls i may run into during
> installation of NetBSD? I have previously installed and used it a little
> on a MicroVAX II (With varying success). I guess i will try to install e
> miniroot from floppys (the VaxStation has a 3.5inch drive that appears to
> the eye as just a standard "PC-drive" - is this the RX-33? )

The 1200 KB 5.25 inch drive is the RX-33
the 1440 KB 3.5 inch drive is the  RX-23
These are interfaced to the first SCSI host (this unit uas TWO scsi hosts)
usually I see these set to ID 5.

>=20
> I would be grateful for pointers to easy instructions, especially for
> making bootblocks and such on the SCSI drives. (I Haven't checked what
> type they are just yet, but the former owner told me it was 2 pieces of
> 200 Megabyte each)
>=20
RZ-24E's made by Quantum and sold as Conner CP3200's

This unit must be net-booted using another computer having the kernel and
necessary binaries. Brian D. CHase has the VAXstation netbooing HOWTO on
his site. Presently, there is no graphics console support for this port of
NetBSD. The console is done through the printer port. A VT-320 or similar
terminal will work or a cheap PC running a terminal program using the
appropriate connectors will also work.

check out http://www.netbsd.org

>=20
>=20