Subject: Re: install on VS3100/M30
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Arno Griffioen <arno@usn.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/27/1998 08:39:26
> in both configurations (vt320 or vt220, 8n1 or 7e1) during boot, i get
> sometimes this " mirrored question mark"
>  and i'm loosing characters. after login on the vt220 this doesn't happen
> anymore.

Hmm..

Perhaps it receives soms garbage and the VT320 interprets it as the
'disable keyboard' sequence.. I know for sure that the 320 has this
requence. Not sure about the 220 though..

We had lots of fun at school with this sequence on VT320's and writable
tty's ;-)

> the best is, after booting on the vt220,  i can switch to the vt320 and
> work on it ...

What happens if you boot with the VT320 connected and (after it locks up
the keyboard) do a setup -> reset terminal

Does that help? This should remove any uncompleted escape sequences
or special stuff (like a keyboard lock)

If it still stays dead then it seems like the VT320 may be _sending_
something in response to the initial 'weird' code, which blocks up the
input on the VAXstation.

Putting an RS232 LED-box between the cable will show if the terminal is
having a problem or if the VAX is no longer receiving.

								Bye Arno.

--
Internet Exchange Europe B.V.Fax: +31-70-3630470 | One disk to rule them all,
Lange Voorhout 9             Tel: +31-70-3600379 | One disk to bind them,

 We say Retribution, We say Vengeance is bliss, We say Revolution,
 With a Cast-Iron fist!                  (Megadeth, 'The Disintegrators')