Subject: Re: free in Portland, OR
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/19/1998 08:34:54
"Aaron J. Grier" <agrier@poofy.goof.com> writes:

> non-functional VR262 19" mono monitor, was used on a DECstation 2100 for
> quite a long time.  Just stopped working, might even be easy to fix, but I
> have no idea how.

I've repaired three of those.  In every case, the problem was bad
solder joins on one particular component.  There's a board mounted
vertically on one side of the monitor that has a largish inductance
spool on it, with fat wire "legs" sticking through the board.  Touch
up those with some fresh solder, and it'll probably start working
again.  I'm guessing the board was wave-soldered, and this is why
these more heat-demanding joins go bad.

While you're in there, adjust the monitor.  It's very easy to do, and
you can end up with better image quality than it had when new.  I'm
extremely happy with the two I've got here, both of which I got for
free because they didn't work...  :-)

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"