Subject: Re: network weirdness..
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Jorgen Pehrson <jp@spektr.ludvika.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/19/1998 01:50:51
On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, David Brownlee wrote:

>     Some random ideas:
>
> 	Is the netmask the same on both boxes?

Yep, a class C mask.

> 	Can you temporarily set the systems up via a hub to see if that
> 	still works?

Yep. No difference. I can still access the VAX with no problems from the
linux box, but I can't ping the linux box from the VAX. But if I do a
"ping -l 1 linuxbox" then it pings the linux box ok. Weird.

showmount, traceroute, ping -l, ping -f all works ok.
telnet, ping, "mount linuxbox:/some/dir /mnt" does not work.

If I look at the LED's on the VAX transceiver they remain black if I try
to ping or telnet to the PC. So it looks like the VAX doesn't even try to
access the ethernet board. The only route entries I have is loopback and a
network route.

And if I look at the ping statistics after an unsuccessful ping it says
something like this:
PING linuxbox (194.18.168.69): 56 data bytes
^C
----linuxbox PING Statistics----
0 packets transmitted, 0 packets received,
#

Shouln't there be more info, like packetloss and roundtrip delays and
stuff?

What's weird is that I just now suddenly could telnet from the vax to the
pc. But I couldn't ping the pc.

I have changed the ethernet board, the AUI cable, transceiver, cabling and
tried two different hubs as well as tried with no hub. Still no
improvment...

Ah well, the only thing I needed the network connectivity for now was to
download the 2.11BSD distribution to the VAX and write it to TK50 tape.
And I was able to do that when the network worked just now.

And another thing. The VAX will totally lock up all userland programs for
about 10-15 minutes, ~5-30 minutes after it's been booted. The kernel is
still alive since I can ping it, or telnet to it and get a:
Trying 138.227.74.11...
Connected to spektr.inf.rl.abb.se.
Escape character is '^]'.

Is this a known bug?

Jorgen Pehrson                  HP 9000/380 (NetBSD/hp300 1.3)
jp@spektr.ludvika.se            DECstation 5000/200 (NetBSD/pmax 1.3)
http://spektr.ludvika.se/museum VAXstation 2000 (NetBSD/vax 1.3)