Subject: Re: NetBSD/VAX on Tu-58 Media?
To: J. Joseph Max Katz <jkatz@darpanet.NET>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/18/1998 19:47:53
> My fiancee bought me a VAX 11/750-F as a present. I'm thinking of
> turning it into a commercial pop-3 mail server. (It appears to
> have 10M of RAM in it :) Anyway, I have no Tu-58's at my disposal.
> If someone would be willing to lend/borrow/sell the boot tapes or
> entire distirubtion of NetBSD on tu-58's, it would be most appreciated.

Let's see here; a TU58 holds 256 kbytes.  A "entire distribution"
of NetBSD would be - after trimming out all the sources and "nonessential"
binaries, leaving only what you'd need on a 11/750 - about 30 Mbytes.
So that's *only* 120 tapes that you need!

And by the time they'd all loaded, you're great-grandkids would
be able to see it boot :-).

Unfortunately, since the untimely death of the TU80/TS11/TS05
driver for NetBSD, I think the only supported distribution media
for the 11/750 is to install via disk-pack.  Or is the TUK50/TU81
installation working now?

> PS: I also need to find some disks and a DELUA for this thing. It looks
> to have the Emulex MSCP Unibus controller on-board. Something along the
> lines of a Fijutsu Eagle would work well (400-500M) Any pointers would
> be greatly appreciated.

Fuji Eagles are readily available, but shipping one across the continent
will cost more than the drive is worth.  Where are you located at?
Chances are that there are some mini dealers nearby!

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)