Subject: Re: VMS Password
To: None <anonymous@wouldnt-you-like-to-know.com>
From: Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/15/1998 20:09:33
Hi,

> Matt Thompson wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I picked up a new MicroVAX II yestrday, it has VMS V5.5-2 .. this is
> > my first time trying to use VMS, and I need the system password to get
> > in so I can make some TK50 boot disks for NetBSD/vax.  Is there anything
> > like a single user mode in VMS like UNIX has, where I can change the
> > password? There is still no MOP boot file that supports DEQNA is there?
> >
> > -Matt
>
> Try logging in as SYSTEM with passwd MANAGER or, if that does not work,
> try FIELD with passwd SERVICE .. this might work (these are supposed to
> be undocumented outside DEC, but you know how things can slip :)

	Isn't it possible to say something like:

	> b/1

	when sysgen prompt appears say

	set startup_p1 "min"
	set uafalternate 1
	continue

	then login as system when machine comes up, change the password, boot
	again and

	set startup_p1 ""
	set uafalternate 0
	continue

	I'm not sure that this is the exact sequence but it was something
	like this. If anyone remembers better please feel free to correct me.

	Ari S.