Subject: Re: Forbidden subject?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@phoenix.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/12/1998 11:02:50
This one's near and dear to my heart, since I'm probably going to go pick
up my 4000/300 this week. How different is the VS4000 architecture from the
larger 4000s? I assume that the KA440/KA46 is different at least in detail
from the 4000/300's KA670, and the DSSI disk architecture is anyone's guess.

So, the same question: Where do I get the technical docs needed to attempt
a port? I'm confident that I can handle doing the port, assuming I can get
the docs. Doing the first boot might get interesting - either building a
bootable image under VMS, or else cross-compiling on a Linux or WinNT box -
but I'm sure someone else has conquered that one already. I expect that the
first order of business is getting the DSSI driver written and
together...and at that point, the system can be brought up under NetBSD
standalone, and development of the remaining drivers can be accomplished
natively.

All I have to do is not kill myself loading the box into my Toyota RAV4,
and getting it home...and pick a circuit in my house that doesn't have much
load on it...preferably downstairs...lugging that thing upstairs doesn't
seem to be a Good Idea...
--
Jay Maynard, EMT/P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@phoenix.net              | adequately be explained by stupidity.