Subject: Re: NetBSD, KA650 and X
To: Dave Arthur <ARTHURDC@burridge.nscc.ns.ca>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/09/1998 22:20:44
Dave Arthur wrote:

> Hi, I'm back to the port with some questions on X. Boris has been
> most helpful, but I don't want to wear out my welcome :-)

I'm willing to help.  If I wasn't I'd tell you... really.

> I have installed my qdss head in my uVAX. I have it at csr 17740 764
> and ipl 17. I belive these to be standard.

Nothing would work if this was wrong.

> I have installed the generic current 1.3 kernel ( #157) on top of the
> 1.3 distribution.

Is this the kernel on ragge's site?
anoat:/bin# ls -l /bootdisk/current ; sum /bootdisk/current
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  909139 Mar 20 15:22 /bootdisk/current
58264 888 /bootdisk/current

> When the system boots the >>> prompt comes up on my graphics head.
> When I boot NetBSD takes the graphics head as the console.
> I believe from all of these things that the hardware is OK as well as
> my software install.

Maybe.  The console code doesn't exercice a lot of stuff.  I think you
also need a specific revision level of the QDSS to work with CPU boards
after the KA630. (Does anybody have more info about this?)

> I got ( with Boris's help) the X11R4 Xqdss and lib files from MIT and
> plunked ( er not plonked :-) ) them on my system. When I try to run
> the Xqdss from the console ( graphics head ) I get a core dump and
> thats it.

That shouldn't happen. :-(
First of all are you sure that Xqdss isn't corrupt?
anoat:/bin# ls -l Xqdss.old
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  396288 Feb 17 18:50 Xqdss.old
anoat:/bin# sum Xqdss.old
22876 387 Xqdss.old
anoat:/bin# ./Xqdss.old

Are sure it *just* core dumps?  For example, if you run it without the
library files you get: (try it)
anoat:/bin# ./Xqdss.old
Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/athena/lib/X11/rgb'
failed to set default font path
'/usr/athena/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/athena/lib
/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/athena/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/'
Fatal server bug!
could not open default font 'fixed'
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Have you created the necessary devices in "/dev"?
crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   41,   0 Feb 28 00:38 /dev/qconsole
crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   41,   2 Feb 28 00:38 /dev/qd0

If everything is okay you get no output.
BTW.  Make sure you have another way into the machine when doing this.
(eg. telnet or you can run a getty on gencons)  The driver *will* make
the console nice and usable again when X quits or crashes but if it
doesn't then...  Also, remember that xinit is your friend

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |