Subject: Re: Hardware Support Question
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/08/1998 14:59:18
Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE> writes:

> Actually, I'm not sure that dual-ported disks can be accessed on
> both ports with NetBSD. I believe it never releases the port, once
> it has been acquired, so the second machine who tries to access it
> will have to wait for ever. You could, of course, modify the driver
> to release the port if it's inactive...

Now that you mention it, I remember noticing that Reno and NetBSD do
this differently: with Reno, the port indicator lamp on an RA81 drive
will stay continuously lit during the bootstrap process, but once the
system is up, and file systems are mounted, it will only light up when
actual disk access is going on.  With NetBSD, the lamp is always lit
while the system is running.

Is fixing this this a quick hack or a lot of code to do complex port
access negotiation with the drive?

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"