Subject: Re: DEC mouse hacks
To: None <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca, emu@ecubics.com>
From: Ben Ketcham <bketcham@anvilite.murkworks.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/01/1998 14:27:45
Although the DEC "puck mice" certainly have appeal from a historical/Jetsons
angle, it will be extremely useful to be able to use 15$US generic PC mice
with Vaxen.  What about using them with one of the *other* serial ports in
a system, if such are available?  Should then be possible to use a PC mouse
with *no* additional software, just the regular serial driver (given an X
server that can use /dev/whatever for mouse input), right?  Someone correct
me if it is more complicated, I don't see why it should be.  (OK, you'd have
to be a little sick as well as pretty confident to give up the console
serial port for this, and even if you could establish the serial rate and
protocol the mouse wanted, I suppose you might have to do some cable wiring
or chains of adaptors to actually connect the mouse.  But if you have one of
the multiport serial boards...)

--ben

| On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, emanuel stiebler wrote:
| > running at 4800 Baud. rs 232 .
|
| Yes, that more-or less means that you could connect a serial mouse if
| you really wanted to.  I think that the UART is capable of other baud
| rates as well.  The only problem would be the mouse protocol... it would
| be incompatible with the DEC protocol.  For that you'd need to change the
| driver in the kernel.  Of course, driver code for PC serial mice should be
| easy to find.

| |  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
| |  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |
| |  "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to   |
| |  depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, ROTJ  |