Subject: Re: Graphics Status
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buck_c@polygon.com>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/30/1998 17:40:53
J. Buck Caldwell wrote:

> I'm wondering what the current status is on support of the different video subsystems: QVSS, QDSS,
> 2000, 3100, any others? I understand the SCSI support in 3100's is still PIO only, right?

The QDSS kernel driver is done and it has been integrated into
-current.  It supports the use of the QDSS as the console and running X
on QDSS.  However, you'd need an Xqdss binary for X.  I'm now trying to
integrate qdss support into X11R6.3.  That's less fun than working on
kernel stuff.

For QVSS there is a 4.3BSD driver.  Getting it to work with NetBSD
shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I don't have a QVSS, but if
somebody was to give me one I could get the driver working fairly
quickly, because the stuff that needs to be done is quite simillar to
the stuff that I had to do with QDSS.

Nathan Schepers is currently working on monochrome VS2000 support.

As for colour VAXstation video support, I don't think anything is being
done and it will be a problem because there isn't any free source and
the hardware is quite complicated.  Hopefully it's documented
somewhere...

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |