Subject: Weird RARP packets from boot loader
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/30/1998 20:52:42
I don't know if this is VAX-specific, but I noticed it with my MV 3100.

I am developing/porting the servers needed for netbooting off my BeBox
with BeOS. After mopd I finished rarpd. When I boot the VAX, it succeeds
in MOP loading the boot.mop file. The boot program then RARPs correctly
and gets its IP address (10.0.0.3). Then it tries a bootparam "whoami"
request. Not having ported rpc.bootparamd yet, this obviously fails and
the request times out.

What happens then is wrong. Boot starts all over again with the RARP,
but this time it seems to have forgotten or messed up its ethernet
address. The RARP packets that I see on my BeBox have the all-zero
ethernet address everywhere where previously they had the real ethernet
address: in the ethernet source field, the RARP sender hardware address
field and the RARP target hardware address field.

Re-MOPping boot.mop causes the first RARP request to work again.

Is this a known bug? Is it even VAX-specific or does it even exist in
all ports?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ It's not easy having a good time    rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl