Subject: Re: Floppy drive?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/23/1998 13:00:55
   Dear Allison,

   You wrote:
> The dead RD53 is usually a stuck head actuator, it gets stuck against a
> rubber bumper..  The fix I use is open the cavity and move it manually.

   Do you mean open the HDA?!?! Do you have a class 100 clean room
facility? Winchester heads float above the media on an extremely thin air
cushion, and even very small dust particles are harmful to them. I remember
reading in one book that there must be no more than 100 such particles in
some volume unit when working inside the HDA (hence the class 100
facility). That book also says that the breath of one human produces about
500 such particles per minute, suggesting that trying to get by without a
special facility is impossible.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299