Subject: Re: mkfifo bug on NFS filesystems?
To: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/1998 17:14:07
David Evans wrote:

>   I don't believe that FIFOs work over NFS.

They do and they don't.  You should be able to make the fifo with mkfifo
and use it as a fifo on a local machine.  However, there is no
connection to any other machines that mount the same filesystem over NFS
and there is no connection to the server.  Multiple machines (including
the server) can independantly use the same fifo.  On my MicroVAX II with
1.3BETA all of this works as it should.

However, I notice another problem.  Reads and writes block in such a way
that ^C or ^Z is just queued and not acted upon.  The only way to get it
to continue and respond to signals is by reading or writing to the fifo.

In any case, I really doubt that any of this has something to do with
VAXen.  This has got to be platform-independant.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |