Subject: Re: TMSCP support
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeffrey D. McMahill <jma7+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/02/1998 18:42:14
> I used the MAINT tape on the MVII to reformat the RD53 (after LL fmting
> it on a PC when I had a need several years ago).  It goes 11 minutes into
> the format and the utility ends with a fatal error.    Is there any
> way to recover the drive?

Yep, as long as you really do have the MAINT tape, and not the
(more common) "Customer Diagnostics" tape.  It's been awhile since I've
used it, but there are two different format programs on there.  The simple
one (which is the same as the Customer Diagnostics one) will fail
after about 11 minutes on a PC formatted RD53...
I forget where exactly the other one is on the menu, but it was
something like device specific utilities.  Look around and you should
be able to find it eventually...

The other possibility is to format it on a VS2000, if you have one.

   -Jeff