Subject: UNIBUS and Q-bus
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/01/1998 19:23:22
   Dear DEC hardware gurus,

   I wonder, what are the differences between UNIBUS and Q-bus? People
usually think of this as 18-bit vs. 22-bit, but Q-bus also has a 18-bit
version (does UNIBUS have a 22-bit one?). Apparently there have to be some
other differences. What I'm thinking about is that I may have to play with
some UNIBUS cards, and I don't have a UNIBUS system. I know that the
backplane slots for the two are mechanically the same, and I'm wondering
how great is the difference in the finger assignments. Could it be feasible
to gerrymander a UNIBUS card to work in a Q22-bus slot? Could it be
feasible to make a UNIBUS to Q22-bus adapter?

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: sokolov@alpha.ces.cwru.edu