Subject: Re: This damn standalone TMSCP driver
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/27/1998 00:56:20
>From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>

>  Man, is this driver ever SLOW!  I see in the source the command "Why doesn't
>read of multiple blocks work"--I don't know why, but I sure as hell wish it
>did.

Well, tapes are inherently record oriented and TMSCP needs to give a result
back for each record saying the actual length of the block, and the number of
bytes transferred (in case the buffer was shorter than the block), since
neither is necessarily equal to the requested length.

Still, it ought to be possible to keep things streaming but submitting >1
read command at a time.  I believe the TQK50 allows 3 cmds outstanding at
a time, 2 of which can be non-immediate.

John Wilson
D Bit